A UNIT OF THE GALA FOUNDATION

Thursday, July 16, 2009

A PROLOGUE FROM CARMEN ORTIZ


Music has been defined as an Art of carefully combining sound and Tempo by Duration, Punctuation and Intensity, through music, we can express the most intimate sentiments of the spirit; sadness, Happiness and Victory. As I think about music, I can forge in my mind, a retrospective frame of the years of my youth, when I, with great love, dedication and enthusiasm, would sing in a Choir at the Second Unity Elementary School in St. Just, Puerto Rico.

Afterwards,while I studied in Wadleigh High School in Manhattan, I devoted myself with great fervor and zest to the choral music and also to the study of the clarinet. during this time, I was allowed what has always been a great privilege for me, become a member of the Choir: "Ecos de Vida" of the church, "La Sinagoga" I also played my clarinet in the church band.


during that time, the choir and the band was almost totally comprised of young people that expressed their fidelity and love of God in various forms. They were involved in the Choir or in the band. There is no other experience in the universe that can uplift man's spirit to his Creator such as prayer and sacred music. Both touch the most intimate part of the soul and transports on wings of faith, straight to the presence of God, himself. Thanks to the Lord for the Gift of music. Thanks to the Lord for sacred hymns of yesterday. They have left us with a musical legacy that enriches our praise to the Lord, also for todays' hymnologists that have surrendered to the will of the Holy Spirit and with humility and a sincere desire to exalt the name of the Lord, reveal their heaven sent talents through their musical creations, and what can we say of the music from the Holy scriptures? shall we take for granted, the ministries and the musical experiences of the Old and the New Testaments? Who can help from being emotional when we visualize David with his melodious harp, bringing healing to King Saul's tormented spirit to flee? and who does not feel that their strength is renewed as the wings of Eagles when they live the experiences of Paul and Silas, for they did not lament for their chained hands and feet. They would lift songs of Liberty in their prison during the midnight hour.


In a brief recap, the Bible has many scriptures that teach us how to praise and worship the Lord, by the way of Music.


Psalm 9:1 "Sing unto the Lord a New song"

Psalm 81:1 "Sing with Joy to the Lord"

Psalm 51:14 "Sing, my tongue, your justice"

Psalm 51:14 "Sing the glory of his Name"

Psalm 66:2 "I will sing to the Lord while I live"

1 cor 14:15 "Sing with the spirit, but sing with understanding"


By Carmen Ortiz

Director

Choir: "Ecos de Vida"

New York, New York

1 comment:

  1. Now I know where I get my eloquence from....Titi Lala, your prologue exemplifies the feeling of many of our hearts! God has given us a new song and with joy and thanksgiving will we praise....Thank you for sharing your gifts, talents and unselfish love with us all. I am so very proud to be a part of these wonderful experiences...

    ReplyDelete