A UNIT OF THE GALA FOUNDATION

Sunday, December 29, 2013

REFLECTIONS ON SISTER CARMEN RIVAS - GALA AWARD WINNER FOR 2013


By Noel Serrano


Carmen Rivas is a much beloved Woman of God who has dedicated her entire life in the Service of the Lord and is an exemplary Matriarch in the noble manner in which she nurtured and cared for her large family. I grew up admiring her loving and compassionate Spirit. In the early years of the 1960s and 1970s she a very active  Leader in the Church, La Sinagoga. Sister Rivas had an enduring strength that helped her remain steadfast in all  the struggles that she faced. She would often encourage me as a young boy to "Press On!" in the face of adversity Her favorite scripture that she often quoted to me was from Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and of Good Courage...Be Not afraid, neither be dismayed!, for the Lord thy God is with thee!" I can still hear the echoes of he soft, tender voice, encouraging me and planting those seeds of inspiration  to persevere and to press on!

Carmen Rivas is still that Noble and inspirational Woman, even now as she struggles with insurmountable  challenges in her advanced years. She continues to serve as a Beacon of inspiration to all who come near her. Carmen Rivas was one of the finest cooks that I have had the privilege of knowing. Whenever she invited our family to her home , we were welcomed to a Great Table of fabulous Latin Cuisine that was made with loving hands. Whenever I traveled back to New York City, Sister Evelyn would invite me to the Rivas home in Queens. My Mother, Felicita Serrano and Carmen Rivas were very close and as a child, I remember the many phone conversations with these two Godly women who prayed together , always interceding and in prayer for her growing families. Whenever they faced trials, they uplifted each other in prayer and encouraged each other in the Lord. As the years passed by, I recall many phone conversations with Sister Rivas and she always served as a Motivator, encouraging to "Press on" I valued her counsel and still do .  She always had an inspirational Word for me, in the same manner as when she encouraged me as a young child growing up in La Sinagoga.

Carmen Rivas is a shining Emblem of those Spiritual and Godly Women of a bygone era. Women that prayed and set a glowing Standard for a generation. We can all still learn from them and still receive inspiration from Carmen's example and her dedication. May God continue to Bless Carmen Rivas and give her strength to keep the banner high! Pressing On! and always declaring Victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment