A UNIT OF THE GALA FOUNDATION

Sunday, November 24, 2013

A SON'S BEST FRIEND

There once was a service in a Church, where a prominent Pastor was speaking. Suddenly the Pastor changes the subject, as His eyes focus on someone in the crowded church. He goes on to say how he recognized an old friend. He also felt so compelled to cut his own message short. And he went on to introduce his friend, as he invited him to come up to the alter, and share some words with the church. An elderly man comes up, and very eloquently starts to introduce himself. He thanks the Pastor for the moment, as He says; I want to share with you a Testimony. You may be looking up at an old run down man. "Old" yes, but not run down. I have been around for a lot of years, and I was blessed because I got to know the Lord Jesus Christ, since I was a small boy. Many years ago, when I was much younger I went on a fishing boat. I only had one Son, and He came with me , along with a friend of his. My Son, would always be close to me. It did not matter if we were going to Church, or if we were playing ball, or going fishing. My Son and I, were always together. You see, my Son Loved the Lord also. This was supposed to be a day trip. Our schedule was to have us back to the dock, before nightfall. But the unexpected happened. A tropical storm hit us by surprise. Everyone had to real in their lines, and hold on. As the sky grew darker, and the waves started pounding the sides of the boat. It was not a small boat,on someone in the crowded church. He goes on to say how he recognized an old friend. He also felt so compelled to cut his own message short. And he went on to introduce his friend, as he invited him to come up to the alter, and share some words with the church. An elderly man comes up, and very eloquently starts to introduce himself. He thanks the Pastor for the moment, as He says; I want to share with you a Testimony. You may be looking up at an old run down man. "Old" yes, but not run down. I have been around for a lot of years, and I was blessed because I got to know the Lord Jesus Christ, since I was a small boy. Many years ago, when I was much younger I went on a fishing boat. I only had one Son, and He came with me , along with a friend of his. My Son, would always be close to me. It did not matter if we were going to Church, or if we were playing ball, or going fishing. My Son and I, were always together. You see, my Son Loved the Lord also. This was supposed to be a day trip. Our schedule was to have us back to the dock, before nightfall. But the unexpected happened. A tropical storm hit us by surprise. Everyone had to real in their lines, and hold on. As the sky grew darker, and the waves started pounding the sides of the boat. It was not a small boat, but it felt small in comparison to the size of the waves swelling up. The boat would be facing down, the next second. , it would be facing up. Suddenly a huge splash comes crashing over the front of the vessel taking with it several people. The sky`s are dark, the rain is falling. The wind is hitting us with all it`s got. And the ocean is violently trying to consume us. There is yelling and screaming all around me. When I was able to clear my vision. I realize that both my Son, and His friend were also taken over board. I ran to get a life preserver, as I yelled for help. The currents were strong. I was only able to get one small life ring, attached to a rope. There was no time to spare, for you would see them one second, then they would appear to go under the next. I knew my Son cold swim, but this angry ocean could not be dealt with, by just a good swimmer. His friend on the other hand could not swim to good. I only had a few seconds to decide; To Who, do i throw this life preserver first. Was I going to sacrifice one person over the other? I knew my Son, was a saved Christian. And I also knew that His friend, still had not committed to accepting Christ. Was I going to deny him an opportunity? If he perishes today? The currents was pulling us farther apart. It was just a matter of seconds to react. I cried out, Oh God! As I threw the life preserver to my Son`s friend. We pulled and hung on, as hard as we could. We finally get this young man on board. And I immediately run to the edge of the boat, to see which way do I throw out again, to recover my Son. It was a sad moment, it had groaned darker, the ocean was not letting up. The rain was stinging my flesh as it pounded me. I looked, and I looked. Yelling out as loud as I could. But my Son would never be found. I was held back by other men, who would not let me enter the water. When these things happen, it feels like seconds. When actually minutes go by. Then when everything slows down to where you think it took a few minutes. It really all went down in the matter of seconds. The elderly man went on to say, though we may walk with Christ, we still have no guarantee when it`s time to leave this earth. Only God knows. Parents sometimes rebel against God, because they think He does not care. With out remembering, that it was God, who sacrificed His only Son, for all of us. It was God, who was with me on that terrible day. And it is God, who comforted me, and has been with me since that day. As the elderly man turns toward the Pastor. They embrace each other. They are both in tears. The Pastor tells the Church;....You better decide today! Oh, you better decide today. Today is the day of Salvation. This man, my dearest friend. He rapped it all up in a nut shell for you. No one knows what will happen to them tomorrow. There is never a day that goes by, that I don`t think about that day. Do you want to know why? I was His Son`s, best friend. I was the one pulled out of the ocean. God, saved me for a purpose. And I know He has a purpose for you my friend, After this an alter call was made, and many came forth to accept Christ, as their Lord and Savior. I hope this short story encourages you to take a closer walk with Christ. And be thankful for all He has done for you. May God Bless you. Love always, Irving Serrano Sr.

No comments:

Post a Comment