A UNIT OF THE GALA FOUNDATION

Monday, November 21, 2011

REMEMBERING WHY I THANK GOD

By Irving Serrano Sr

In a few days it`ll be Thanks Giving, A day where families unite to visit and have a big dinner. Along side of the music, laughter and children playing. In alot of homes, You could here prayers. Some spoken out loud, and others softly whispered. Never the less, prayers of thanks. People just thanking God, for His mercy. Thanking our Lord and Savior for all the wonderful blessings in our lives. A few days ago, while on the job. Some friends were reminding me of a few accidents Iv had, be it on a motor cycle or some type of vehicle. As they exchanged stories, my mind wondered back in time. Approximately about ten years ago my wife Damaris and I, managed a dollar store in the City of Philadelphia. My wife would always walk the owner out when he`d come to pick up the deposits. On this day, for some reason I decided to accompany the owner out. His vehicle was parked just in front of the store. When he went to open his door a box of papers was falling out, he sat the money bag on the floor as he fan dangled with this box of papers. I picked up the money bag, so as not to leave it on the ground, Suddenly a man grabs me from behind and starts trying to grab the money bag. I gripped him up & wrestled with him pinching his body between me and the owners truck. All the while the man was asking me to let him go, but he still wanted the money bag....for a strange reason the owner had not felt the commotion, it wasn`t long before I felt a cold piece of steel behind my ear, turns out the man had a gun. He reminded me he asked me to let him go. I guess i surprised him when I had a good grip on him. It happened so fast no one saw to come give me a hand, and that's funny too cause I'm usually never alone. I told the owner; Hey! you see whats happening? then he looked up and said oh, yea. At that point I just went limp and let the man unravel the money bag from my hand, I still didn`t want to just give it to him. As he grabbed the bag he turned to run, I was two steps behind him. My boss yelled out to me No, just let him go. At that moment the man turned around and fired right at me.....Well thank God, the shot went low and right between my legs. By then we drew a big crowd, and there was plenty information to give to the police. Later witnesses asked me; Why did I fight a man holding a gun? I told them; truthfully I never saw the gun. I thank God because the strength I had was not mine, but His. The enemy sent a demon to murder me, but our God did not allow it. Everyday we wrestle with the enemies lies. He tries to make us loose sight on our walk with God. Constantly trying to make us loose focus with our faith, and communication with God. I urge you as this day of thanks Giving approaches. Take some time, think about some of the things God, has done for you, and your family. Lets all thank Him, for His mercy. And for our salvation. May you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Love always, Irving Serrano Sr.

No comments:

Post a Comment